Saturday, September 27, 2014

My Tenth Half Marathon Run - 2014 Newport Liberty Half Marathon

After 3 months of gap for run events, commenced the 2014 fall run events with Newport Liberty Half Marathon on 21st September. I am running in this event for second consecutive year. Being familiar with the run course I was awaiting this day, aiming for my new personal best in half marathon.

Among the events that I participate, this event is my favorite one because most part of run route is through my daily office commute and my summer evening run routes. Also event start place is close by where I live so no very early morning wake ups on the race day.

On race day woke up along with rising sun at 6:00 AM. After hydrating, followed my stretch routine for 30 minutes. Reached Newport at 7:45 AM and collected my Bib 1731 and warmed up with stretching and slow running. Exactly at 8:30 AM flag was down after anthem music. I started my run along with runners at 8 Minutes per mile wave.

First mile run was with the enthusiastic running crowd. I was running at my comfortable pace 8:30 per mile. Today I have started my run with some minor shin injury and left foot toe tingling's. I was cautious during my first mile to make sure body is responding positive for run.

Second mile run created some space on the road as runners are scattered now. Increased the pace to 8:15 per mile and set my breathing rhythm and body was responding well. My Quads and hamstring muscles were tired today as I played football yesterday after many years. I started to play easily but with some game adrenaline enthusiasm over ran behind the ball than planned.  Irrespective of this tiredness I was able to pace well at 8:00 per mile during my third mile.

I was pacing at 7:50 per mile by the time I was crossing the fourth mile. I decided to maintain this pace which will help me to catch up few extra seconds that I used during my first and second mile run. My legs were responding well and pace was steadily gaining few seconds and reached 7:45 per mile during fifth mile run.

In sixth mile run I was sensing that all force out of the legs are not being used efficiently. I shortened the stride length to check on the legs. Though my pace was consistent I was able to grasp the indication of  some disconnect between my legs and upper body.

While running the seventh mile, my right leg wasn't pushing enough to sustain the pace. I initially assumed that it was due to tired legs. With this assumption I pushed for half mile still maintaining the pace close to 7:45 per mile.  At my 7.5 mile pace noticed the numb feeling on my right leg and thigh. There was fluid station in another quarter mile so I ran till the station focusing on my leg. When I stopped at 8th mile fluid station I was unable to feel the ground on my right feet.

I perceived that blood flow to the right leg is less than required to sustain the pace. I have read about this injury but happening to my legs for first time. I was scared to increase or run at this pace any more. Stretched the legs horizontally for few seconds and right leg was getting better. Started running by pacing at 7:50 per mile for 5 minutes and again right leg was feeling numb so stopped running and did 2 minute rest and stretch until blood flood becomes normal on the right leg.

Decided to run at pace whether leg doesn't become numb. Leg was responding better at 8 minutes per mile. Ran the ninth and tenth mile at this pace though leg was partially numb. At the end of 11th mile leg was responding better and even normal. By this time I have lost all the minutes to get my personal best. Though my body was getting better at 11th mile I was mentally unable to increase the pace so ran my last 2 miles at 8 minutes per mile pace and crossed the finish line with chip time 1:47:19.

This run was disappointing and had painful completion. My leg muscles were ached and tired so decided to rest for next week. Immediately after the run did search on the injury symptoms I had and concluded as compartment syndrome. Compartment syndrome is a condition in which pressure increases within a muscle "compartment" of the lower leg, cutting off blood supply to the area and causing swelling and pain.

As this is first time my legs experienced this injury and I didn't do proper initial observation to narrow the injury spot in the leg. I am hoping this doesn't occur again and planning to observe for the symptoms in next runs and start on the recovery and treatment plan.

You can find more information about Compartment syndrome in runners world.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment