Friday, May 23, 2014

My Ninth Half Marathon - 2014 Brooklyn Half Marathon

On My Feet
In this doodle let me take you through my 2014 Brooklyn Half Marathon run experience. This was my ninth half marathon run event. In the past weeks before this run I didn't had many chance to focus and practice on my running due to my hike and long walk schedules. Focal point of my planning for this run was more on mental and running techniques. Since my previous NYC half marathon run I added breathing and Pilate Ab workouts to my routine. This run will be a chance for me to evaluate the effectiveness of these workouts.

After reading the proverb, “Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.”. My intended vision for this run was a relaxed run for personal best time targeting for two digit minutes (i.e.) less than 100 minutes (1 hour and 40 minutes).

The day started before first sunlight of the day reached my location on earth. At 4:00 AM my alarm alerted me of the day. After tying the shoes reached my coral in start point Franklin Avenue, Brooklyn at 6:45 AM. Weather was a pleasant pre-summer like day about 58.00℉, 10 mph wind with 67% humidity.

Sea of runners waiting for security check
Sea of runners strong feet pounded the start line in waves once the start flag was waved at 7:00 AM. My feet passed over the start line at 7:19 AM following the wave of runners. Listening to my body during my first mile was glad to observe proper stride and breathing pattern though I was missing my practice runs in the past three weeks due to long distance hike and walk plans.

After completing first mile in 8 minutes 30 seconds cruised my feet for 8 minutes per mile for the second mile.  On cheerful completion of second mile as cruised I have set my pace for the run. Having mind, body and feet in synch third mile was a relaxing run through Prospect Park. After third mile I made plan to catch up the first miles extra 30 seconds within another few miles.

While my feet was on fourth mile and my eyes were gazing over the Prospect park lakes. At this moment I sensed my both legs calf muscles are not in the similar condition. I was feeling stiff and heavy on my calf while pulling my right leg off the ground. This is too early to have any injuries when you have personal best goal. I compromised on pace for a minute and made sure there are no fatigue symptoms. I guessed this stiffness is due to dehydration cramp I had few nights before. I cruised back my body to little less than 8 minutes per mile pace to catch up all the missed seconds. Adding to body challenge part of fifth mile was uphill run however feet stayed strong and didn't trade off on pace.

While at sixth mile body was losing the breathing rhythm. I felt my breathe out is not matching breathe in. During exercises, air tends to get into the lungs more easily than it gets out, so the lungs fill with air and press on the diaphragm from above. This accumulated excessive air pressure squeezes the diaphragm and shut off its blood flow, resulting in cramping. After few minutes of conscious belly breathing overcame this side stitch and reminded to do conscious belly breathing for few minutes in each mile.

Seventh mile was refreshing mile with no challenges to handle. I started running past many runners increasing my pace. Today's on course obstacle was to jerk the knees to run past the competing runners. Till seventh mile Prospect park's tree's were covering us from sun. Beginning eighth mile in Ocean Parkway we are exposed to sun.

Most runners ran over the left side of the road to seek advantage of the building shade. This helped me to avert knee jerk runs while I decided to stay exposed to sun. Completing 7.5 miles in the first hour I planned to pace me at 7 minutes 50 Seconds per mile for the remaining distance. After eighth mile body was easy for next 2 miles. At the end of my ninth mile I was out of breath and diaphragm showed the cramp symptom. On the 10th mile fluid station paused and took deep breaths relaxing the diaphragm muscles. After 30 seconds of breathing exercise was back on track with increased pace to catch up the missed seconds.

While running 10th mile I was able to feel ache in my lower body which is due to dehydration of running in exposed sun. Accelerated by feet to complete my 11th mile before 01:33 by setting the pace below 7 minutes 40 seconds. After completing 11th mile repeated the breathe exercise to set the body for the final mile. Stayed on consistent pace crossed over the finish line to have my new personal best half marathon timing as 1:40:34. During today's run, my legs were strong all the way but have to deal with challenges from other body parts.

This run concluded with guidance to practice belly breathing as a subconscious breathing, maintain enough electrolyte balance on run course to avoid post run cramp symptoms and seasoning the body to manage different atmospheric conditions.

Though this run will be one of my best, as the quote "Doing your best means never stop trying." I will be running for more cherishing moments and personal records.

My Chip Timing
After finish line


 

No comments:

Post a Comment