Sunday, June 1, 2014

The Big Walk along East Coast Greenway

"The Big Walk" journey path
 
 
 
Once in a while my mind interrogates why I want to walk this walk? What initiates the interest in me for the walk? What I benefit from this walk? I used to explore for a convincing justification for my questions.

Before this walk I asked one another different question why I am having these questions? My interpretation for this question helped to find some reasoning for my other questions. I am schooled in the current advancing scientific world to look for statistics and analytic reasoning rather than natural reasoning. When I focused on natural reasoning realized body as a medium that can be used to enhance the spiritual energy in this world. Nature has provided our body with capabilities to observe the cosmic energy from universe and make this earth the energy centric place. This nature's law makes me feel fresh when I associate myself close to nature, try doing things that could be achieved more by mental capabilities with the support of body. This energized pleasure initiates interest within me. This answers my question "What initiates the interest within me for the walk?".

When I have my body focus on natures law it should be benefited naturally. In present age we spend more time in maintaining our healthy body through material beliefs. Natures way helps us to maintain a healthy body using the inner bodily capabilities by connecting to external energy source. This answers my question "What I benefit from this walk?". Answers to these two questions answers my question "why I want to walk this walk?".

After having these answers I am now set for "The Big Walk". In this doodle I will walk the talk about the "The Big Walk" with free walkers on May 10th 2014.

This long day began by a wake up alarm at 3:45 AM. After packing got ready and reached Metro Park at 6:00 AM. After registration received my BIB 13. I don't believe in number 13 being considered as unlucky. Today I need to finish this walk to hold on my belief. Let us see whether BIB 13 was able to complete the walk.

Before walk - MetroPark Station Parking
After Paul briefed about the walk, support and weather our walk commenced at 6:28 AM. This walk is along the East Coast Greenway (ECG) trail starting from  Metro park, Iselin to Penn Station, Manhattan. I learnt that ECG is a nearly 3,000-mile (4,800 km) urban path linking the major cities of the Atlantic coast of the United States, from Calais, Maine, to Key West, Florida, for non-motorized human transportation. Today's walk intention is also to promote the ECG among the walkers.

Most of this walk was through the residential areas, crossing roads, through parks and bridges which is a unique urban walking. Walked through the Merill Park, Winfield Park, side of Rahway river, Mohawk Drive, Hill side avenue reached Cranford train station at 9:50 AM where our support van loaded with snacks welcomed us.

Map 1
Map 2
 

After 10 minutes of break we reached Nomahegan park at 10:35 AM for the most awaited restroom break. In the entrance of Nomahegan park we came across Billieve Walk group doing a charity walk for Make-A-Wish, New Jersey. We walked through beautiful landscape with tall green trees on both sides of walk path in Lenape park. After a mile walk we were in Black Brook park at 11:30 AM. After walking through the Fairway Drive with Galloping Hill Golf Course on right side and following Chestnut street , we stopped at Boston Market at 12:00 PM for 30 minutes lunch break after completing our 18 miles. I also charged my Garmin GPS and Mobile using USB battery pack brought one of our fellow walker.

Map 3
After energetic lunch we did brisk walk through Elizabeth River Park and reached Weequahic park completing our 22.2 miles at 2:00 PM. Sky was covered with dark black clouds warning us of the rain. Clouds started pouring when we were in our 23.9 miles at 2:30  PM. After 5 minutes of walk in the heavy rain we took shelter for 10 minutes for the rain to pass away. This shower has left our feet wet and forced us to have our poncho's out.


Map 4
Waking through Newark neighborhood with wet shoes reached Penn Station at 3:50 marking our 27.6 miles. In station we changed our socks after letting our legs to breath in some fresh air. As nimbus cloud was about to pass along our path we decided to stay extra few minutes within the station. After enjoying the luxury of seating for 30 minutes legs are hesitant to walk any further.

Chasing the dark clouds walked through the Newark's ferry street completing 29.1 miles at 4:50 PM. Crossing Raymond and walked over the Passaic bridge against strong wind. While walking on this bridge enjoyed seeing the landing of helicopters. After walking down the Passaic river we had our last support point. After 10 minutes of quick standing break started walking up the Hackensack bridge we came across signal to cross while when opposite wind was strong and my cap flew off my head to mid of highway. Cap was laying down in the signal junction and at least more than 50 cars might have crossed in the 3 minutes after my cap flew to middle of signal junction. We were curiously watching my cap among the busy moving cars and to everyone's surprise no car ran over the cap. After the signal was flashing green for pedestrians I ran and grabbed my lucky cap from mid of highway.

Walking up and down on Hackensack bridge while the wind was blowing along the side was pushing us towards the rive side. This was a thrilling and scary walk. At 6:00 PM reached Lincoln park completing 33.5 mile which is two-third of our target distance. I was brisk and happy walking through the Lincoln park which is my regular run course. After 10 minutes of restroom break walked through Bergen, Summit and Pavonia avenue to reach Jersey Avenue completing 36 miles.


Map 5
Map 6









We walked through the liberty state park in Jersey Avenue. We walked over the liberty bridge to enter the state park and walked with the park and through the river side enjoying the view of Liberty statue and lower Manhattan. Sun was going down and our tired legs were walking in dark through the park. We walked in dark passing WTC memorial, Pirate boat and walked out of park and reached Paulus hook at 9:10 PM completing 44 miles.

My tired legs are starving for rest. After 44th mile it was my mental power which was encouraging my legs to keep moving. I said to me, when you got your mental energy don't have to be concerned.


Map 7
Boarded ferry in Paulus Hook to cross Hudson river. Normally ferry ride across the river is 10 minutes but my body felt this ride was done in less than a minute. When every one was off-boarding I was wondering how a tired body leaves human behind in time. To contend with time we should maintain healthy energetic body and strong mind. My mind got through a new understanding of downfall of a body as "When your body fails to hold on balance with nature, your soul don't prefer to stay in your body".

We walked in Manhattan on the Hudson river side following east green way to reach 34th Street and 6th Avenue at 10:44 PM completing our 50 miles in total of 16 hours and 16 minutes.

This year was fifth anniversary of the Big Walk, we started walking with 19 people and among a couple of downpours and wind, 7 of us finished the complete walk.

My Backpack with BIB

ECG Direction Sign
 

No comments:

Post a Comment