Sunday, June 29, 2014

Queens 10K 2014

Runners in line
In this doodle I am sharing about my 10 Kilometers run in Queens borough, New York on 22nd June 2014. Since I started running in events I ran either full or half marathon run events only. This is my first event in which distance is less than half marathon. Usually before run events I have habit of evaluating my previous runs and plan on correcting the previous mistakes and target for new personal record.

This being my first 10K run, just fixed time target in the range between 40 - 45 minutes. Though fixed this aggressive target I didn't plan on my training to accomplish this timing. I was running my regular long distance pace and timing during my last two weeks practice runs.

On race day morning alarm bell rang at 4:45 AM reminding about the run. Hydrated the body by drinking a liter of water. I was accompanied by Vinod in today's run. We met in Journal Square to board Path train at 6:00 PM and reached Flushing Meadows, Corona Park at 7:15 AM. Today my morning wasn't brisk, I felt tired and was sleeping during my train commute.

After check in the baggage, I did some stretching and warm up runs to set my pace quickly during the run. After exciting talk about this run history, start line flag was waved down at 8:00 AM for the elite runners. Following them we were let to cross the start line.

Today most of running was with great competing runners. All runners around me paced high leaving less space to run past each other. I ran my feet outside the road in uneven grass lawns on the side to run past the runners. I managed to set my pace at 7 minutes and 30 Seconds for a mile before completing my first mile.

After completing my second mile I was watching runners passing me which made me realize of the improper practice plan I adopted to train for this short run. Though I am sure of completing this run but wasn't enjoying the run as I didn't train my body to keep up high pace.

I was pacing at 7 minutes 30 Seconds for a mile till end of third mile. Since completed half the distance, decided to push my pace up. Surprised to see though I was striding my legs, pace didn't improve much. Still running at the initial set pace and completed fourth mile. At this time my thought was questioning whether I can beat the pace and keep up my target which is an unusual mental conflict which I never had before.

After my fourth mile, decided to let my thoughts go free and started doing leisure run rather than struggling against the body and mind. Though the run was leisure my legs were striding at 7 minutes 30 Seconds for a mile pace and crossed the finish line at 45 minutes 52 seconds completing 6.25 miles.

Today's summer run was in 67 F with 73% humidity and wind blowing at 6 MPH which was slower than my run pace.

Vinod and Me before the run



 
 
My Queens 10K Timing


 

No comments:

Post a Comment