Monday, March 23, 2015

NYC 2015 Half Marathon - My 14th Half Marathon Event

NYC Half Run in Navy Blue
A week to go for March Equinox which will mark the beginning of Spring, this is my last winter run event of this season. In this doodle let me run through 13.1-miles tour of NYC, starting from Central Park through Times Square to South Street Seaport.

This year's NYC half run is unique experience for me in various aspects. I was standing at the start with no training runs for the past 40 days. A month vacation to India where I didn't do any runs. A month of wonderful home made foods, snacks, restless travel, etc. After last few weeks of family gatherings, occasions, dramas reached back to New Jersey a week before the race. Jet lag was not letting me to do any last moment practice runs.

On race day 15th March 2015, reached race start coral at 7:20 AM after completing the race security check-ins. I was lazy to do all my pre-run stretches. Weather was 42 F, 10-18mph wind, 60% humidity which was a perfect running weather. After flag down, stepped over the start line thinking this run can be a test on my endurance level.

Mile 1 started on East Drive in Central Park, with an uphill run. Running excitement after many days has paced me at 8:30 for a mile initially. Completed first mile with easy run and proper breathing pattern.

Mile 2 was almost down hill run where the legs paced at 8:00 for a mile. By the end of this mile I was out of excitement and turned my attention on the body. I was contemplating whether I would be able to sustain this pace till last mile. Decided to take easy on the uphill miles and try to catch up latter.

Mile 3 was half way uphill and downhill. After an easy uphill run, ran down with deep breathing. Dry mouth symptom forced a stop at Mile 3 fluid station due to improper pre-hydration and mouth breathing.

Mile 4 was steep uphill run, proper hydration helped to sustain the uphill close to 8:30 for mile pace. At the end of this mile, was able to sense that muscles are getting tired. This was an anticipated indication due to lack of training. Still 9 miles to go, decided to hold down the pace and try to complete the race by running.

Mile 5 was gradual uphill followed by down hill. This uphill run showed the depleting glycogen level. This is another symptom of reduced training levels.  Two miles to go for Gel station, decided to take easy on the next mile.

Mile 6 was down hill run, after which runners turn right at the Seventh Avenue and continued south on Seventh Avenue through Times Square. Exit from Central Park was most awaited, as all uphill run of this course is done. While exiting central park, there await cheerers and  music's that pushes the runners adrenaline rush. 

Mile 7 turns right at West 42nd Street, then right at the West Side Highway. After having energy gel at mile 7 station, had psychological relief of being loaded with tons of energy. Also stored some extra gels for future miles. My GPS clocked 7.45 miles after an hour from the start line.

Mile 8 on the southbound lanes are exciting with music's and river side run. Though I do maintain the pace, my body was tired and counting on steps. I decided to push mile by mile with only plan to run and complete the race.

Mile 9 through 12 was on the south bound lanes. In this part of course had to deal with lower abdomen cramps, managed with deep belly breathing while running itself. Had some moments running out of breath, handled by spending extra seconds in each fuel station.

Mile 13 run was through the underpass that continued on FDR Drive North. Underpass run was exciting but I was too tired to enjoy the tunnel run. Counting on steps exited underpass having 800 meters run to go.

Last 800 meters run was at steady reducing pace where I have to let me behind many runners. After running the whole 13.1 miles with aching muscles stepped over the finish line with chip timing 1:50:09.

This run was an experience on realizing, how body battles when you slack on training, food and rest. I was happy completing this run with not such a bad timing, which is outcome of past years involvements in endurance activities.

NYRR Timing









 

No comments:

Post a Comment