Monday, March 23, 2015

NYRR Fred Lebow Manhattan 2015 Half Marathon - My 13th Half Marathon

As 2014 year, this year's first run event is "NYRR Fred Lebow Manhattan Half Marathon" run in Central Park on 25th Jan 2015. In this post let us circle the central park about my 13th Half Marathon run experience.

Unlike previous year, this year since beginning of January, though I didn't do many long runs, I was consistent in my speed trainings. I am aware of the track very well as I have circled central park many times since last year's Fred Lebow run. Weather was at 35F with 6mph wind. Considering all these I started the day with confidence of expecting better run.

Reached central race event circle at 7:10 AM. Met fellow NY Ramblers hikers. After chat with them collected my BIB 1462. I spent more time around the race event tents hanging with friends, so reached the start line late and began the run from a different coral.

After reading loud the warning notes about the slippery track, race marshal let the flag down. Though weather was better, still finger tips were feeling the freeze. I was awaiting for the run to began to get the body warm. Walking behind the runners stepped over the start line at 8:03 AM.

I was conscious to run along the runners until my legs gain momentum. First mile run was downhill initially and gradual uphill at the end. Legs are warmed and was pacing at 9 minutes per mile.

Second mile was downhill run, took advantage and was pacing close to 8 minutes per mile. Body was getting easy and breathing pattern was normal. Felt comfortable running at this pace but I know there are some uphill's to come where I have to keep up this pace.

Third mile run began with uphill for next 0.5 miles. I decided to try my best to run this uphill holding the pace at 8 minutes per mile. Legs paced comfortably with conscious belly breathing. After 3.5 miles it was downhill till 4th mile.

After having caught up with breath, 4th mile began with uphill again. This is the longest uphill run in the loop, almost 0.8 miles uphill run. Again tried pacing 8 minutes per mile and was able to catch with huffy fluffy breathing. While running this mile, was thinking how to handle this uphill with the same pace during second loop.

Started fifth mile with great relief of still holding the pace and no uphill run in this loop. This mile is gradual alternate up and down hill where we won't feel the much difference in steep.

Sixth mile started with the expectation of crossing the start point, meeting cheer groups and music around the start point. Sixth mile was like almost flat after running the previous steep. My legs increased the pace for 7:50 per mile.

After crossing the sixth mile post, second loop of the race started. Seventh mile was easy run with increased pace at almost 7:30 per mile for the first half which made me complete 7.5 miles in one hour. My legs were little tired and was pushing to keep up the pace.

Eight mile uphill run managed with belly breathing to pump in enough oxygen to the tired muscles. I was convincing me, thinking this steep is easy to handle considering the next big steep. Still legs managed below 8:00 minutes per mile.

Ninth mile was half way up and down run. Had deep breaths during down hill, preparing for the next big mile. Tenth mile uphill run began as challenge, pace was closing 8:00 minutes per mile. Completed the tenth mile with big relief. These uphill runs made me realize I have to focus my training on up and down hill runs also.

Eleventh mile was relaxed run. Still my body was reluctant to increase the pace. At Twelfth mile  tried to increase the pace but body and legs were almost tired and was looking for the finish line.
Twelfth mile ended the second loop around the park.

Thirteenth mile run was flat and again pace was below 8:00 minutes per mile. I already consumed many seconds during the second loop so I am sure of no new personal best in this run. I ran the last mile casually by holding the pace below 8:00 minutes per mile. After an overall comfortable run completed 13.1 miles at 1:45:11.

NYRR Timing




 

No comments:

Post a Comment